Pages

Saturday 6 August 2011

Here come the girls!

The girls appeared to settle in well on their first whole day of freedom. Shirley (pictured right) was tapping of the run bars with her beak so I relented and let her out in the garden. She went about free-ranging like she'd been doing it her whole life. I'm in the fortunate position that I work from home, so my girls can free-range in the garden all day, and I will only put them in the run if I have to go out. Ivy and Lily-Bett (Bett for short) remained in the run, a bit overcome by everything.




It was around this time that I noticed poor Bett had a wing problem, clearly in the photo it's hanging too far down. BHWT say it's been checked and as long as it isn't causing any problems she should get along fine, poor girly! I've been keeping an eye on her, and she seems to be able to move the 'elbow' joint to lift the whole wing outwards but the 'wrist' joint is immobile.





The reason I haven't mentioned Ivy yet is because she hasn't shown much of her personality so far. She is definitely the boss hen, and pecks Bett and Shirley whenever they make a dash for the food. She seems content at the moment to stay in the run and eat and eat! Looking forward to Ivy and Bett getting more confident.





No comments:

Post a Comment