Pages

Saturday 6 August 2011

Welcome!


Well this is it. 2 years ago I rehomed 4 ex battery hens at my parents house. Happily 3 of the 4 are still with us and doing very well. I have since bought my own place with my partner, and after a year we decided it was about time we got our own chooks - ex battery hens of course! This time we rehomed with the BHWT as they had a pickup point in nearby Thaxted. The date was 6th August, and those 11 days took their time to go by!

Ark built, food ordered, feeders, drinkers and bedding bought - all systems are go!

The rehoming day is an experience in itself. We were told there were about 250 hens in the pen in Mel's (rehoming co-ordinator) garden, I've never seen so many chickens - they started off with 400! We were given 3 of the featherless variety, they looked so bad it took my breath away. Our 'original four' were fairly well feathered, but this lot were totally bald in places.


No comments:

Post a Comment