Pages

Friday 26 August 2011

War is declared!

The girls are really coming into their own now. All three of them more confident than ever, merrily letting me walk up to them and coming up to me without worry. Bett is turning out to be a right character, and turning into a very confident girly, I can see her giving me trouble later on. I'm planning on buying some mixed corn for the girls, I'm sure they're going to love that.

Feathers are really coming through now. They're just starting to appear at the end of the quills, Bett and Ivy look like they're going to be quite dark, Shirley could be turning into a blonde girl! Can't wait to see what the final look will be! Bett's actually decided to lose her wing feathers altogether and start afresh, she's really putting the effort into this as she still hasn't laid an egg since we got her (apart from on the first morning).

Shirley and Ivy are taking turns in laying, taking a few days off each. Ivy is starting to mellow a bit, and isn't quite a nasty to the others, though they still seem to keep out of her way. She's also slowed down on the eating, at one point I thought she was going to explode with the amount of layers crumb she was putting away! The current sleeping arrangements are working well, with Ivy on a perch and Shirley and Bett taking a nest box each.

I have decided to declare war on the chooks as the relationship between chooks and my small garden is not great. They've decided to rake up the lawn and flowers, so something needs to be done. I was shocked to find that it would cost £100 to put a small picket fence up between the patio (which the back door leads onto, and where the coop is) and the rest of the garden. We've managed to get hold of some spare trellis so will be devising something over the next week.

Ivy has already made several visits to the kitchen with her chums in tow.

Shirley looking blonde (fingers crossed!)

Bett showing off her new feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment